If you have one or more missing teeth, dental implants are a good choice to restore the look and function of your smile. Before you go ahead and decide if they are the right choice for you however, let’s take a look at five facts to consider about dental implants.
- They are a permanent and stable solution for loose dentures. As the implants are made from titanium screw-shaped rods, they are inserted into the jawbone and act as anchors for one or more false teeth. They have a high success rate at over 95%.
- Implants require a precise procedure to be fitted and they are usually carried out using a local anaesthetic and some sedation if you’re feeling particularly nervous.
- It is possible to have multiple teeth fitted onto your implants at the same time. Depending on how many teeth you have missing and your specific needs, your dentist will create a denture or bridge for you, which will close the gaps in your smile and restore your ability to chew and bite more comfortably.
- Once your implants are fitted, you can then have a temporary denture, crown or bridge placed in the meantime which you will wear while your mouth heals from the implant procedure. If you have complete dentures then you can wear these throughout the healing period once they have been modified after the surgery.
- If you don’t have enough jaw bone for the dental procedure, it may be possible to have a bone graft, which is placed along with your implant into your jaw to strengthen the surrounding tissues and provide a more secure base for the implant to settle in.
If you’re looking for dental implants in Dublin,our dentist Dr Nick Beirne can help. As well as being a member of the Irish Dental Association, he has undertaken an advanced 15 month implant placement course. Dr Beirne and the team at Portobello Dental Clinic can discuss the options available to you.
Our practice is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8am to 8pm. Tuesday from 8am to 6pm, Friday from 8am to 5pm and Saturday from 10am to 3pm. Please call 01 454 2022 to book an appointment. Alternatively please visit our website: www.portobellodental.ie for more information. If you require dental implants, Dublin’s Portobello Dental Clinic can give you the smile you’ve been looking for!