Why would a dentist need a microscope?
It’s not because your dentist has bad sight! There are a number of reasons why a dentist would use magnification when treating your teeth:
- He/she can detect and treat decay at very early stages
- She can see fine detail when restoring teeth
- He can see down the roots of teeth during endodontic treatment (root canal)
- Greatly improved cosmetic results
- Adpotion of minimally invasive and ultra-conservative dental techniques
A dental microscope Dental Loupes
At Portobello Dental Clinic, all of our dentists use magnification with loupes, fibre optic headlights or microscopes. We use magnification because we believe that every patient deserves the highest quality of care, which we can only deliver if we can really see what the healthy naked eye cannot. Think of a hunter using modern rifles without scopes, it would literally be a case of “hit and miss”!
We believe that every tiny bit of your teeth, gums and tissue is precious, and with magnification we can preserve all these; without magnification we simply could not do this.