Cosmetic » Teeth Whitening
- Teeth can stain and discolor for a number of reasons: drinking tea, coffee and red wine, smoking, or even eating certain types of coloured foods. In fact, it is almost impossible to have a lifestyle that will not stain your teeth!Fortunately it is possible for us to remove these stains, and brighten your teeth in a matter of weeks by using a home whitening kit.The active ingredient we use to whiten teeth at Portobello Dental Clinic is 10% carbamide peroxide; it has been in use since the 1970s, and it has been shown to be both safe and effective in numerous studies in the intervening 40 years. It will not damage or remove your enamel, and the results can last for years.The process is relatively simple, involving just a few steps. Firstly, we will check all your teeth and gums to ensure that you are dentally fit and a good candidate for whitening. Then impressions are taken, and a custom-made tray that fits exactly to your mouth will be fabricated. Once we have made sure that the trays fit properly, we will show you how to use the whitening gel, which is placed in the tray and worn through the night as you sleep. The trays are extremely thin and comfortable to wear, people rarely have any problems sleeping with them.
- Is everybody suitable?
Most people are suitable candidates for whitening. If you have existing crowns/veneers/fillings on your front teeth, then these will not whiten, and results may be unpredictable.
- How long do the teeth whitening effects last?
Teeth whitening results are long-term, but not permanent. People who smoke, or expose their teeth to foods and drinks that cause staining will see the whiteness fade more quickly than those who don’t. Once your whitening trays are made, they can be reused, and it is a simple and inexpensive process to “top-up” from time to time. We recommend topping-up one night every second month to maintain optimum whiteness.
- Do teeth whiteners damage tooth enamel?
Studies of teeth whitening products using 10% carbamide peroxide showed little to no effect on the hardness or mineral content of a tooth’s enamel surface.
- Are there any side effects?
Between 10-20% of people who whiten their teeth experience sensitivity, either during the night when whitening, or the following day. This sensitivity is transient, and normally goes away within 24 hours. Using sensitive toothpastes, or special desensitizing gels available from Portobello Dental Clinic will normally alleviate the sensitivity
- Do teeth whiteners damage a tooth’s nerve?
There’s no evidence to date that the teeth whitening process has a harmful effect on the health of a tooth’s nerve. One study reported that at both a 4.5- and 7-year follow up, no individual who used a teeth whitening system needed a root canal procedure on any teeth that had been whitened.
- Is everybody suitable?
- See our tooth whitening special offers
Carbamide peroxide is only licensed for use in Ireland by dental professionals, and cannot be bought in shops or beauty salons. Any use of products which contain high levels of peroxide (>18% cabamide peroxide or equivalent) is now illegal. This means that “Laser bleaching”, or one-hour “power whitening” treatments are no longer legally available.
It has always been our belief at Portobello Dental Clinic, that “take-home kits”, with a well made custom fitting tray, designed and fabricated to fit exactly to the patient’s mouth are the most effective method of whitening. One hour of whitening is simply not enough time to get a good result.
- Do you ‘Like’ the idea of whiter teeth?
Download our FREE eGuide today…
“Your Complete Guide to Cosmetic Dentistry”
In this amazing 25 page guide we go through your options for your makeover. We look at whitening. bonding, orthodontics and veneers and discuss the pros and cons of each.
a special report by
Dr Helen Walsh and Dr Nick Beirne